Executives intuitively know that their own experiences are their best teachers, more so than all the teachers they might meet at professional courses. Professional teachers are very valuable insofar as they help the manager to reflect and learn from personal experiences. There is a method to the acts of reflection and learning. This masterclass introduces the participants to one such method. The method involves presentation and discussion on four related aspects:
What is the purpose of a career?
What is the influence of context in judgment?
How important is self-awareness in the leadership journey?
How can a leader manage self-demons?
he master class…….
- There will be two 90 minute sessions. The first session will address the first two issues written above. The second session will address the latter two issues above.
- During the first session, through presentation and discussion, Gopal will define what purpose is. Through the lessons of a case study, the energising force that purpose is will be brought out. Through the story of the film, Rashomon, the importance of context will be developed.
- During the second 90 minute session, Gopal will touch upon the increasing importance of self-awareness as one rises in the organisation: that every leader has a clear career enemy, that is, himself or herself! The physiological body has bacteria and toxins, some good and some bad. Likewise the psychological self has psycho-toxins, some good and some bad.
- Both the sessions will rely on stories and anecdotes to strengthen awareness of self-evident of learning.
- Each participant will certainly have at least a few personal takeaways which he/ she will be determined to think about.
- The act of thinking about individual issues will trigger the desire to learn more and develop an individual plan of action. It is likely that the positive effects of this 3 hour session would resemble the physical and mental benefits that a three hour yoga/ ayurveda session has on the body and on the mind.
- This content of this program has been delivered in a twelve hour format over the last five years to practising managers and students of management. Therefore the content has been tested and refined, based on these experiences.
- Much of the content of this masterclass has been derived from the books written by Gopal. Gopal’s CV is attached to this concept note.