2 x 1.5 Session Notes = 3 hours
A career in business management is like a traveller’s journey. Travellers learn best by interacting with fellow travellers about their individual moves through the various phases:
Initially, from being a “doer of things” to becoming a “manager of people”.
Thereafter, from being a “manager of people” to becoming a “leader of ideas”.
Finally, from a “leader of ideas” to becoming a “shaper of Institutions”.
This journey requires a person to transit from swimming in the ‘known problemknown solution’ shallow waters to the deep, swirling currents of the ‘unknown problem-unknown solution’ ocean. During this journey, the traveller confronts some typical questions such as:
Am I really doing what I enjoy doing? What is my ‘purpose’?
How can I better learn lessons, which are inherently difficult to teach?
How can I learn by reflecting on my experiences?
What is the impact of my relationships on others?
Do I have faults which may affect my career progress?
The ability to become self-aware and to find answers to these questions helps successful executives to avoid getting derailed by their own follies and foibles, which are referred to as ‘psychological toxins’.
The master class……..
- There will be two 90 minute sessions. Concepts such as the ‘Bonsai Manager’, the ‘Clementine Mirror’ and the ImOpCoRe cycle will be touched upon.
- During the first 90 minute session, through a presentation and an interaction mode, Gopal will recount the characteristics of the journey and bring out the importance of purpose, self awareness and human relationships.
- During the second 90 minute session, Gopal will touch upon why smart people end up doing stupid things and discuss how to become aware of the possibility in one’s own case.
- In both these sessions, Gopal will rely on anecdotes/ narratives from three sources: his personal career experience, published stories from the business world and relevant anecdotes from general history.
- The master class is not intended to be instructional. It is intended to be reflective and inspirational. After all, the programme is aimed at top level people who are in a very important part of their career journey.
- Each participant will certainly have at least a few personal takeaways which he/ she will be determined to think about.
- The act of thinking about individual issues will trigger the desire to learn more and develop an individual plan of action. It is likely that the positive effects of this 3 hour session would resemble the physical and mental benefits that a three hour yoga/ ayurveda session has on the body and on the mind.
- This content of this program has been delivered in a twelve hour format over the last five years to practising managers and students of management. Therefore the content has been tested and refined, based on these experiences.
- Much of the content of this masterclass has been derived from the books written by Gopal, whose CV is attached to this concept note.